March 12, 2011

Enterprise Upgrades Offers End March 31 for Delphi, C++Builder and RAD Studio

Don't forget that our special upgrade offers on Delphi, C++Builder and RAD Studio Enterprise upgrades are set to expire on March 31.

This includes the $300 / 300 Euros (or similar in other currencies) discount on Enterprise upgrades for users of any 2010 or earlier version of Delphi, C++Builder, RAD Studio, Borland Developer Studio or Turbo Professional product.

It also includes a $700 to $1,000 discount for current XE Professional edition users who want to step up to XE Enterprise.


Brett Graffin said...

I see EMB always throwing out XE upgrade specials. For whatever reason, whether it be a need for revenue or a desire to get all prior version users to upgrade to XE (as some BLOGS have suggested), I do not have a desire to take advantage of the offer. And even though I am getting repeated phone calls to upgrade, I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they really want all users to move to the XE family since that will increase their upgrade population for the future.
Now, why are some (I did not say all) not upgrading now, even with all of the special discounts?
They do NOT want XE. They want 64bit and Cross Platform. So why pay for an XE upgrade, then turn around and pay for an XE2 upgrade 6+ months from now. I plan on just waiting, as I have done for the last 4 years. I would pay for a D2007 to XE2 upgrade if the (2) above mentioned features are included. I don't even need a discount to make the decision. If the (2) features are in XE2, I am doing the upgrade. No hesitation. So I and many others are just going to wait.
So, I have a better idea to get users to upgrade NOW...
I am going to make an assumption that Version XE2 will support x64 and cross platform. I will also assume that it might not be fully complete (that's OK, as long as it is useful). Under these assumptions, I would do a "full" (no discount) "upgrade" from my Delphi 2007 to XE2. Now, offer an upgrade to all registered users from D?+ to XE2 instead. Charge the full "upgrade" price. Deliver a temporary XE license now (you've got to give us something to move NOW, instead of waiting), so we can start migrating our older code, and then deliver the XE2 license when it is ready in 6+ month for free, since that is the license that we are upgrading.
If my assumptions are incorrect about EMB needing money (everybody needs money right now, so no shame in it), or EMB is doing the big discounts just for fun, then don't offer a plan like this. Since you will get the users to upgrade in 6+ months anyway, you just will have to wait for it...

Anonymous said...

The get Rad studio for the price of Delphi offer emb had a while back was good, I'd go for that if the previous versions were thrown in as well.